Stapler Circumcision at Institute of Urology, Jaipur: Hello everyone, circumcision is one of the most commonly done procedures in the world. In some countries up to 90% males undergo this procedure at one point in their life. Therefore, there are always ongoing researches on how to make this procedure as easy as possible for the patients. The latest technique which has emerged of late is Stapler Circumcision.
What is Stapler Circumcision?
Stapler circumcision involves removing the foreskin from head of the penis just like the conventional or ordinary circumcision. But here, we use a specialised device called as “ZSR Surgical Stapler” (also called anastomat) for the procedure which cuts and seals the skin edges swiftly without causing any significant bleeding.
Stapler circumcision takes about 3 to 5 minutes and causes almost nil pain to the patients unlike the old technique where the operating time used to be longer and involved pain and discomfort. In fact, one of the biggest advantage of the stapler circumcision is the fact that the patient can go back home the same day.
Why is Circumcision Performed?
Circumcision can be performed for medical as well as religious reasons. It is performed in all age group of males.
Medical Reasons for performing Circumcision include:
- Recurrent Paraphimosis
- Recurrent Balanitis
- Penile yeast infection.
- Recurrent Urinary tract infection
How is Stapler Circumcision Performed?
1. Stapler circumcision is a quick procedure. It is usually done under local anaesthesia but can be done in general anaesthesia as per patient’s preference.
2. The ZSR stapler is a single use device. It is used for 1 patient only. It is a hand held, manual device that is pre-fitted with a non biodegradable skin staples.
3. The penis is disinfected with iodine or another equivalent.
4. The Stapler consists of 2 parts. The inner bell and the outer bell. The inner bell is placed inside the foreskin. The inner bell’s function is to protect the delicate glans skin.
5. The outer bell has a fine blade to cut the foreskin and as it cuts, it staples and closes the wound simultaneously for hemostasis.
6. The device is then removed from the penis.
7. Compression bandage may be applied to stop any following minimal bleeding after the procedure.
8. The bandage or dressing is changed after 48 hours. It is simple, and can be done at home with careful instructions.
9. The non bio-degradable staples that was applied during the operation usually gets removed on its own within 1-2 weeks.
Why is Stapler Circumcision considered Better than Conventional Circumcision technique?
- The operating time is greatly reduced. Stapler circumcision can be performed under 5 minutes by a trained urologist.
- Blood loss and tissue injury is very minimal.
- The cutting edge are evenly approximated that facilitates cosmetic appeal.
- Patient does not experience any significant pain after the procedure.
- Healing time is quicker. Patient recovers within 2 to 3 days only.
- Very less chances of developing any complications after the surgery. Chances of developing edema are also reduced.
- There is no restriction of office work unless it involves a lot of physical stress.
- Multiple research publications have found that Stapler technique was most readily accepted procedure given its many advantages.
What are the Limitations of Stapler Circumcision
Although Stapler Circumcision is currently the best avaialble technique for circumcision currently, it still has certain limitations like:
- This technique is not recommended if there are a lot of preputial adhesions.
- Limited role in abnormal penis sizes.
- Not usually performed in children, because small sized stapler devices are not readily available yet.
- Expensive as compared to open circumcision.
Stapler Circumcision at Institute of Urology, Jaipur
At our hospital, stapler circumcision is a routinely performed procedure. We have a highly trained team of doctors who make sure there is no discomfort to the patient and the patient can go home safely as soon as possible after the procedure. Our support staff is available 24 x 7 for absolutely any help that one might need. For any queries, please feel free to give us a call on 9829013468.