Causes of Premature Ejaculation: When we say Ejaculation, it means the process of releasing semen after orgasm at the time of sexual intercourse. Pre mature Ejaculation means the ejaculation happens before you or your partner may desire. When a person has premature ejaculation, he ejaculates sooner than expected and loses erection.
Like a lot of Mens Health related problems, Pre Mature Ejaculation is also not something to worry about only if it happens very occasionally. But if it happens very frequently or all the time, its time to pay a visit to a good Urologist/Andrologist. As per the statistics, around 30-40% of males may experience pre mature ejaculation sometime in their life. So, it is not an uncommon entity. It is very common, and if you are experiencing this problem, there is no need to worry or be shy because treatment is usually very easy to follow and most patients find a successful solution to their problem.
Some medical organisations like the American Psychiatry Association have given 3 levels of severity of Premature Ejaculation problems – Mild, Moderate and Severe. As per them, if a person ejaculates in under 1 minute of starting intercourse, he is said to have “mild” problems with pre mature ejaculation. However, in reality, the patient’s personal feelings and desires are considered most important while discussing and making a diagnosis.
What are the Symptoms of Premature Ejaculation?
I will enlist the major symptoms of Premature Ejaculation below:
- Never lasting more than one minute, ejaculation happens within a minute of starting sexual activity.
- Person is not able to hold an erection for a desired amount of time and orgasms before expected.
- Not being able to hold the ejaculation/orgasm for more than a minute.
- Feeling of uneasiness, anxiousness, distress while performing sexual activity.
- Feeling of nervousness at the start, during or by the end of sexual activity leading to ejaculation before time (performance anxiety).
- Premature ejaculation can occur in all sexual situations, even during masturbation.
What are the Types of Premature Ejaculation?
Premature ejaculation can be divided into two categories:
- Primary Premature Ejaculation – When the problem has always existed right starting from first sexual encounter.
- Secondary Premature Ejaculation – When previous sexual encounters were normal with normal ejaculatory functions. But of late, there have been frequent or continuous troubles with ejaculation timings.
What are the Causes of Premature Ejaculation ?
There can be many causes for Premature Ejaculation and most causes are not related to sexual organs per se. Here are the most common causes that we come across in our patients:
- Physical Causes of Pre Mature Ejaculation –
Physical causes or Bodily causes include any infections of prostate or urethra, any STDs, an underlying problem of Erectile Dysfunction or increased sensitivity of penis. Systemic diseases like thyroid diseases, diabetes and other lifestyle related diseases also contribute to the physical causes of Premature Ejaculation.
- Hormonal Causes –
Oxytocin is an important hormone for sexual functions in men. Problems with oxytocin can lead to ejacultion troubles. Other hormones can also play a role in ejaculatory problems like Luteinizing hormone (LH), Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), Prolactin hormone etc.
- Serotonin –
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter or a chemical that our brain releases. It is responsible for feelings of sexual desire and excitement. Problems with serotonin levels can significantly contribute to ejaculation problems.
- Psychological or Emotional Causes –
3. Relationship Problems
4. Anxiety: Performance anxiety is a major cause of premature ejaculation. Performance anxiety with a new partner or nervousness while getting intimate with a new partner are a very common entity. There may also be anxiety after a long period of abstinence. Lack of confidence and guilt are other major causes or ejaculation problems.
- Lifestyle Related Problems –
Drugs or Alcohol addiction
Poor Pattern of Sleep
- Ageing –
Ageing does not directly cause premature ejaculation. However, ageing does change how men experience the sexual process like for older men, erections may not be as firm, erection may not last as long as it used to before, the feeling that ejaculation is about to happen may become shorter. All these can lead to pre mature or early ejection in older men.
I hope this article will be helpful for understanding the causes of pre mature ejaculation and most importantly overcoming the fear or anxiety related to pre mature ejaculation. Like I mentioned above, it is an extremely common problem in men and there is absolutely no need to suffer in silence. We at Institute of Urology, Jaipur are available 7 days a week and we offer complete discreetness and confidentiality while discussing men’s health problems with our patients. We also have VIP consult available to offer more personalised and prioritised consultation. I am reachable directly on (+91) 8601539297 [Dr. Rajan Bansal, Consultant Urologist & Andrologist]. Or you can easily book an appointment at 9829013468.